Stripy corset: fusing, cutting, & beginning construction

This month I wrote an article for Foundations Revealed on matching stripes in corsetry. I’ve taken the tutorial fabric and proceeded onto making the actual corset from the demo in the article.

JRT_4759
Continue reading Stripy corset: fusing, cutting, & beginning construction

Blue & Black underbust: inprogress

This patterning is based off of the red & black lozenge under-bust with the torso lengthened from under-bust to the waist. I wanted to make a quick corset so I just popped on the mock-up from the other corset and adjusted like I would normally. This worked since my client has the same proportions to me but is shorter waisted.

JRT_4337

Continue reading Blue & Black underbust: inprogress

Zouave jacket: underlining, flatlining, & construction

This jacket is styled after the military zouave jackets that became a popular bolero jacket style in mid to late Victorian era for women. We are doing it in a very fashionable red, but instead of wool it is a fine silk.

JRT_2755

All and all, a very clean & subtle jacket that looks lovely over the black silk velvet waistcoat. It has just enough tie in with the skirt to look like they go together.
Continue reading Zouave jacket: underlining, flatlining, & construction

B&W Striped corset: patterning, cutting, & construction

JRT_1538

This corset design was a collaboration between me and a client who is always a pleasure to work with, thank you Michelle! Like usual I pulled out tons of fabrics and she was instantly drawn to a specific fabric. It is tie silk and I wasn’t sure if it would work for a corset but agreed to test it out. I found the right interfacing and we moved forward on the design. Continue reading B&W Striped corset: patterning, cutting, & construction

Starry Nite corset: emb. sample w/ piping

I’m working through some of the sample embroideries by testing them in different threads.

JRT_0608

The one satin stitch star will be nixed because the design ended up too heavy. The one star pattern doesn’t work well in the metallic thread but is fine in the others. The tiny fleck of a star needs to have a stitch added because the cutting mechanism pulls the last stitch out so it needs to be anchored. All in all I’m happy with the results thus far. I can’t wait to actually make the corset!

This shows a very fine piping but I’m thinking of doing something more chunky so it will be more like ribs of metallic gray running down the corset.