Victorian Purple Wedding Gown: lace collar & buttons

The collar needed to stand up in the back but I wanted to do so without requiring my client to heavily starch the lace each time. Because the lace is so sheer I decided to create a collar stand of buckram covered with lace topped with a clear plastic horsehair extension. The extension needed to be flexible and near invisible so the beauty of the lace would stand out. The flexible nature of the fake horsehair allows for my client to get the standing effect without losing range of motion of her neck. Continue reading Victorian Purple Wedding Gown: lace collar & buttons

Victorian purple Wedding gown: train & bodice fitting

The detachable train needs a few more stitches put in and the closure but it is looking fantastic with the dress! The bodice fitting went well and I worked out the overlap for the correct sized buttonstand, although we are going to do fake buttons to keep from putting any holes in the garment that will make it harder to alter over the lifetime of my client wearing it. I do like how real buttonholes look but I love being able to move things around easier by doing it with hooks behind a false button placket. Anyway on to more pictures…
Continue reading Victorian purple Wedding gown: train & bodice fitting

Red Wedding Ensemble: sneak peek

The red wedding gown has gone home to its owner and we even got in a photo-shoot! My client was such a trooper and donned her 15+ yards of silk taffeta with grace to do a photo shoot in record high temperatures. I held the fan on her and we did take a water break. A great testament to the comfort of the dress as she was in it 2+ hours.

See how that custom-dyed silk ribbon just glows. Shot-silk taffeta glows so beautifully as well!

Red Wedding Ensemble: custom dyed silk satin ribbon

The polyester ribbon I had on hand was a nice match but just didn’t shine the way the silk taffeta does. So I decided to try out a new-to-me company called Cam Creations. I sent in my order with a swatch of the wedding fabric and was super surprised at how close they came to the look & feel of a shot-silk with a dying progress on a satin ribbon! It can’t be red shot with navy obviously since they are not weaving it but it sure looks good! I satisfied with the results. Continue reading Red Wedding Ensemble: custom dyed silk satin ribbon

Wedding diary: 2+ years later I finally make the jacket…

JRT_5010

I had cut this out the week before my wedding figuring I’d add a piece to my outfit. I wanted to take off the gown and throw on the jacket to head home that night. After cutting it out I decided to enjoy the time with my family before the wedding instead of more sewing. Recently I found it floating around my workroom missing one piece!! *grr* I searched and then gave up but decided to pursue finishing the project nonetheless. I had enough fabric to tweak out a new piece. Continue reading Wedding diary: 2+ years later I finally make the jacket…

Steampunk Bridegroom ensemble: photos

Wedding suit added to the gallery:

JRT_25

*Click image to go to gallery*

Chris put up a lovely post about his wedding mentioning me :) Thank you Chris! If you wanted to see more of the suit I made him check it out: Steampunk Pirate Wedding post

I can’t wait to see all the final professional photographers photos! I’m almost tempted to say their wedding looks even more fun than my masquerade wedding :)

Wedding ensemble: fitting & alterations

This fitting was very fun. The skirt bottom edge was temporarily set with safely pins and the bride was paraded up and down my stairs and outside to check the length. While a floor length skirt would be elegant, the comfort and ease of walking/dancing at the wedding reception is more important. The final length will be set once all the lining and waist details are finished.

Here is the initial bust:

JRT_1425 Continue reading Wedding ensemble: fitting & alterations

Wedding ensemble: pleating w/ the perfect pleater

I have made fabric pleater tools out of cardboard in the past but never 22″ wide and with a small return. I knew the total circumference I wanted at the hemline and a full return knife pleat was going to be too generous. Since these were to be fully pressed pleats I knew a tool was going to be invaluable. So I promptly started cutting up manila folders and doing the math. Until my roommate pointed out that Clotilde carried the “Perfect pleater”. It happened to be 22″ wide and was on sale for half price with a 3/8″ return. I was sold almost… Continue reading Wedding ensemble: pleating w/ the perfect pleater