Romantic Tutu- layering

Romantic tutu time #tulle #ballet #tutu #foundationsrevealedcontest #foundationsrevealed with @ladybreabrea

A photo posted by LT Laurie Tavan (@ltlaurietavan) on

Breanna mentioned Marion’s article when I couldn’t find a tulle to color match the custom dyed silk fabric for The Lilac Fairy, and it was super handy. I read up on her suggestions and picked a set of 4 different tulle colors to layer to create a coordinating romantic tutu. Each layer is doubled up so there are a total of 8 layers of tulle in the final tutu. At 4.5 yards in each layer, that makes 36 yards of fabric of varying widths.

watercolor tulle tutorial

Winter Rose Collaboration with Sealaced – Final imagery

One of my best friends is also a lovely corset-maker, model, and one of my ultimate muses. Now there are plans for three corsets to make up a bouquet of roses but here is our final entry into the Foundations Revealed Competition this year.

_jrt2380

_jrt2402

combined

_jrt2482

Continue reading Winter Rose Collaboration with Sealaced – Final imagery

Long Corset is long

Every year Foundations Revealed hosts a corsetry competition. This year there were two themes for the competition: The Five Senses and the 1913 E.F. Hume corset. I fully designed one for the former theme that I decided would be a lot of work to implement with not a lot of future use potential so I’ll share my “Five Senses” design idea later on. Instead I went with the Hume patent corset challenge. My goal was to adapt this antique pattern into a fun modern corset-dress with nods towards historical stylings. I pulled the fabrics from my new collection I’m working on for this fall to develop the design.

I started by taking an image of the HUME patent I found online and scaled it using photoshop. I chose to measure the waist line in each section and set the final size to a 20″ waist. I’ve been working on sample pieces at a smaller size purely because it take a lot less fabric, less sewing, yet still might work on some slender models since I rarely work smaller than a size US 8. This will help increase the range of body types I work.

Here is the original patent scaled up and printed at Kinko’s. In the future I’d probably just print at home tiling the pattern because Kinko’s managed to take 45 minutes to get it printed properly. But other than that it worked beautifully.

IMG_0436

The original pattern had to be trued up at the top and bottom edges. At this point I decided to cut and slash and change the pattern a bit. Because I wanted this to be more of an outerwear modern dress I did lengthen and add some cup to the top front. I also changed the center front edges to create a curved peek-a-boo section which I plan for wearing over a black skirt for modesty or perhaps with little hot pants or lingerie for a more boudoir look. Continue reading Long Corset is long