When preparing to attend the 2015 Oxford Conference of Corsetry, the organizer and corsery fellow Julia Bremble suggested we think about doing forms for our corsets for display. I have seen this done in museums before, where they use lightweight plexi-glass forms to create an insert into the corset. I loved seeing corsets suspended from the ceiling, floating in space with no mannequin in sight.
My lovely friend & client loaned back her Steampunk corsetry ensemble for a shoot this week. My son has been going on and on about Doc McStuffins (kids tv show) and wanted to direct a doctor shoot. Honestly I was a bit worried trying to include a 4 year old in my shoot but what is a working mom supposed to do when her kid is only in preschool till noon each day? Incorporate him into the fun of course. He seems really proud his mom is a corset maker and will tell everyone about it.
We did a walk through of the building during the day and I chose to shoot in the kitchen and my son said we had to so some in the dark basement. All day he was so excited and couldn’t wait till the evening shoot. He surprised me with his acting to the point where I had to keep asking “are you really afraid” and he’d giggle or do something silly to show me he wasn’t really scared. Some of the poses during the shoot were his idea and I loved helping facilitate his creativity too. A big thanks for my husband for working with me setting up lighting and for shooting.
The Brief: Steampunk Doctor treating a little boy. I directed Rene, our model for the day, to think of Rachel in Bladerunner. I think she nailed it. The content goes a little dark thematically and is a departure from my husband an my usual photography work. I’m excited to gather together the best images into a little flip book we will share with you once all images are processed. I was too exited so I’m posting up this teaser that I edited today.
Photographer: Tavan Photography
Model& MUA: Rene Rodgers
Hair: Laurie Tavan
Hat & bow tie: Kristi Taylor
Corsetry Ensemble: Daze of Laur by Laurie Tavan
I had a lot of fun making this garment :) It is deceptively simple. The main body portion is once piece, with the neckline pleated and a hole cut in the middle for the collar. I loved making the button and self made fabric loop. I added some fine hand worked detail: a hand stitched roll hem & hand stitched thread bar at the center back opening.
My first time wearing the gown I realized it was too big around by many inches, I guess I forgot how much you corset down more after wearing a corset for a while. By half way though the day my corset closed at back. This means I get to make myself a new corset (eventually)!
Thank you for Lauren of American Duchess for taking these photos for me.
I took one of my old brown felt hats and basically crushed it into a more sweetheart shape because it was too tall and forward on my head. I think it works pretty well and it looks different. It helps create a different look for Madam Caplin so I look less like Queen Victoria. I’m trying to have her look more plain jane.
I started the skirt for the ensemble years ago, probably two but I don’t remember for sure. That is how long ago I started it. The fabric is a fun stripe. I have enough to make a matching bodice but didn’t have the time or energy to actually get moving on that in time for Dickens Fair.
I had cut out a waistcoat for my husband in this brown/dark brown wool and the rest of sitting in a pile. I shrugged my shoulders grabbed it and drafted out a zouave jacket and as I laid the pattern on I knew I’d have just enough.
Many times when I start a project and I have on idea where I”m going with it, I turn around and the exact amount of fabric is sitting there waiting for me. I never planned to make a wool zouave for this outfit. But then it jumped out at me that this was finally the project for these fabulous braid frogs my mother-in-law gave me. Or at least they are for now, I imagine I’ll be reusing them on another project eventually or trying to make reproductions of them anyway. Continue reading Brown and Blue Ensemble
Final photos have been added to the gallery finally:) Here is a shot of the high-backed underbust along with the other two corsets made in the same fabrics in the past year. Look at what different results you can get using the same colors and fabrics in different combinations:
A friend of mine needed to make a new gown in a week. She came over with the mock-up ready to be fitted and we dove into pressing, cutting, and stitching it together. One night we got everything cut and serged.