This is my first time dying coutil. It turned out fairly even. I learned that since the edges of the fabric on dot coutil tend to roll, it is more likely to be streaky near the edges. So either in future I’d dye a larger section than I needed to cut the corset or I need to figure out some way to stretch the fabric and dye it that way. So much to learn!
The frogs on the zouave jacket sleeves. I added this fun braid I’ve had around forever. I have just enough to add it to the bottom of the skirt as well (again meant to be!). I love when stash fabric and trim turn out perfect for a project.
I started the skirt for the ensemble years ago, probably two but I don’t remember for sure. That is how long ago I started it. The fabric is a fun stripe. I have enough to make a matching bodice but didn’t have the time or energy to actually get moving on that in time for Dickens Fair.
I had cut out a waistcoat for my husband in this brown/dark brown wool and the rest of sitting in a pile. I shrugged my shoulders grabbed it and drafted out a zouave jacket and as I laid the pattern on I knew I’d have just enough.
Many times when I start a project and I have on idea where I”m going with it, I turn around and the exact amount of fabric is sitting there waiting for me. I never planned to make a wool zouave for this outfit. But then it jumped out at me that this was finally the project for these fabulous braid frogs my mother-in-law gave me. Or at least they are for now, I imagine I’ll be reusing them on another project eventually or trying to make reproductions of them anyway. Continue reading Brown and Blue Ensemble
Rene came over and we worked on a new gown. The bodice was put together in a day which made us very happy!
Worn with my new tiara, a reproduction of the Oriental circlet that Prince Albert designed for Victoria (with opals and not the replacement rubies that the actual tiara currently has in it). I won’t be wearing this tiara at Dickens Fair but it may be used as a prop while on “shoppies” as a gift to the Queen from the Prince Consort.
I think it will be trimmed something like this:
Continue reading B&C Plaid gown: Day bodice inprogress
In his cute Victorian outfit:
My husband always complains that I don’t make him anything. So I started this trial pair of trousers from a Simplicity pattern. I had to do little modification actually. There are a few things I’ll change in the next pair but so far so good.
I still have to sew the skirt top to the waistband and add the bertha actually onto the ballgown bodice, and and… design the day bodice. But we do have the go ahead from Liz Martin, the costume director, to make a day bodice and word from the higher ups that they are interested in seeing what it does in the Dickens light before making a decision. I was making it to wear to a Gaskells ball but now it will get more use if Queen Victoria can wear it. If not, I still love it.
I decreased the volume in the bottom tier & raised the patterning a bit on the upper tier so the trim was a bit further down. I think it looks more spiffy this way :) Thanks for all the advice so far.
This has to be one of the first things I”ve totally sewn my machine! And it doesn’t feel totally horrible. Seeing as it is a “gesture” at a Victorian gown, done in sheer for going underwater, I don’t mind that it isn’t hand sewn. The hoop’s ribbon cover is fully handsewn but basically basted in place over the boning channels, very roughly done but still looks nice. Continue reading Sheer Victorian: bodice completed
I made a brief appearance at Dickens fair this year to be apart of the knighting of my dear friend Rory for his service to the Queen. I didn’t want to go in mundanes but I also didn’t want to try to fit into anything from pre-pregnancy. Luckily I had a corset that fit. My mother-in-law made me up a blouse & medici belt.
Continue reading In the workroom: sheer gown & stripy skirt