More progress on the silk chemise:
More progress on the silk chemise:
Although the construction of this gown has been delayed a few months I do have some photos to share. Here is a preview of the fabrics involved and a rough mock-up of the bodice
Embroidered partlet and sleeve material with burgundy silk for the skirt with gold shot with red ruched trim:
Here is a preview of the pocket hoops sans weights. They are very comfortable and a hoot to wear around the house. I love how they fold up so neatly. I didn’t want to take them off :)
A peek at the french seams on a new chemise:
For ease of construction the gussets have been bisected and french seamed as well.
I’ve started work on some 18th century gowns. I’m of course starting with the undergarments. Not being one for plain white anything I of course picked a lovely silk to match my current 18th century corset I have inprogress.
Here is a sneak peek:
I’ve started the wedding outfits! I’m still debating between two different silks for the gown. I’ve sent out the request for an estimate to get matching shoes made. I hope to start the grooms outfit this week.
The corset has been patterened, mocked-up, and adustments for minor design changes made. The lining and fashion fabrics are cut out. I’m ordering a new supply of coutil this week before I can complete the corset.
I’m going to make everyone wait for photos till after the wedding. I might sneak in a few previews of detail shots once in a while.
Count down: 7 months till deadline – Jan. 27,2008
These photos feature various pieces of my costuming pieced together to portray a pirate theme for the Northern California Pirate festival this upcoming weekend. The hats were trimmed and decorated with feathers to add to the overall look.
Check out this corset already in action! We used it as part of an entry into the Pirate Pin-up contest for the upcoming festival in Vallejo. Rene currently graces the front page of our website and the new photoshoot has been added to the corset gallery. Click on the photo for more images…
This piece was part of my undergarment ensemble for my role as Queen Victoria at Dickens Christmas fair (http://www.dickensfair.com). This along with the chemise, drawers, hoop and corset won me an award for Best Costuming 2006 at this event.
Pin tucking and lace detail:
I found two wonderfully striped fabrics that begged to become matching petticoats. Here are some photos:
Blue stripe fabric:
I am really happy I decided to travel, back down to the bay, to meet the Tudor tailors. I have never had so much fun wrapping my head. Being able to touch and look at the inside of many of the garments was a true treat. I’m inspired to make some aprons for our household on the drive back up. The princess’s highest servants will get white aprons but now I wish to make blue and green ones for the others. I already cut the linen and am heading back to Valhalla in an hour! (http://www.valhallafaire.com)
The Kontusz received its 3 hours of stay stitching on the car ride up to Valhalla. Curtis wore his new coat at the event and loved it. Eventually I will add the front trim closures but with the heat he is just wearing it open and it looks good as done!
This upcoming two weekends I can be found at the Valhalla faire. I will be wearing the blackwork chemise even though it still lacks its blackwork pleated top edge. A week from today will be an event down in Santa Cruz with The Tudor tailor!
I’m looking forward to both events and am currently in the process of packing. I’m taking a break every so often to rub my head and complain about my horrible sinus headache hoping to recover before the long drive up to Tahoe. I have a kontusz in progress sitting on the sewing maching begging for my attention. E-mail contact will be sparce in the next 10 days.
I really love this color combo.
I’m working on a couple new sections to add to the website. These will include a Proprosed Projects and a Luxury services/additions section.
The Proposed projects section was inspired by the plethora of fabrics I’ve been collecting. I’m constantly doing research and planning gowns that will never be if they don’t find the right person. I’m hoping people might be inspired by some sketches, research, and fabric samples.
The Luxury services/additions section was inspired by my current trend of hand covering grommets. I’ve started another bodice and I’m loving the look. This is a truly luxury service at $6 per pair but the end results are so satisfying.
I’ve finally coverd all the grommets on one bodice. Here is a photo showing some with ladder lacing.
In other grommet news, I’ve gotten 21 of the blue corsets grommets hand covered. A driving trip up to Valhalla this weekend should provide ample time to complete the rest I hope.