A quick snapshot of my dear husband wearing my first ever Victorian waistcoat:
Then his scolding me for having the camera settings incorrect :)
You can’t see my husband’s new waistcoat under the closed coat but it does work well for him. Although it never gets to be seen. I guess this means I need to make him a cut-away for something. Better start researching and learning to tailor better in the next year.
My husband has not had a new outfit for fair in over 10 years. His last one was made by his mother, and while it is still lovely it is not idea for his current focus on fencing. We started with a pair of bias wool hose, a Tudor wool jacket, and finally I made the petticoat/wylliecoat. I just realized I haven’t blogged any of it! I’m starting a second lighter weight Tudor jacket for him in red wool. I’ll start backwards blogging them.
My husband always complains that I don’t make him anything. So I started this trial pair of trousers from a Simplicity pattern. I had to do little modification actually. There are a few things I’ll change in the next pair but so far so good.
For the Wedding Suitcoat and waistcoat I decided to hand cover 18th century style wooden button molds. I had posted a picture of my hand sewing by candle/fire light when we were without power for a few days and was encouraged to post more. Here are some more detail shots showing the process below.
Sewing by the fire:
A recently completed mock-up:
I’ve started going through all the photos I took of the wedding garments in progress and decided some might be nice to share. Here is one showing how I cut out the shape of the pocket I wanted and drew on the lines to match the fabric below to be able to easily pattern match when cutting.
You can see the white chalk marking the buttonholes and the placement of the embroidery designs. Everything was chalked and then the embroidery was done prior to cutting the fabric.
Check out the new addition to menswear.
So maybe I wanted too many photos but I think this photo shows Jeremy’s opinion on the multiple fittings.
“Why do I have to try on the waistcoat under the mock up of the jacket?” he asked. He darn well knows why, he was just being plain SILLY!
I adjusted the pattern for Jeremy’s breeches and cut out the velvet last night, then serged all of the edges. Luckily this velvet is not leaving velvet “bugs” everywhere like I imagined it would. No progress has been made on the embroidery plans therefore the bottom bands were not cut out in case I am embroidering the fabric first. I’ve prepped some of the scraps to test out doing a welt pocket on the breeches as I’ve never done one in velvet.
I started the stomacher for the stays as well. It is a lovely peach taffeta machine embroidered in blue silk thread. I’m hoping to get that together as well this week. The silk lining on the corset is still in progress as I’ve had little time for my own projects. Hopefully I’ll be able to share photos soon.
Save-the-date cards will go out soon to our out-of-town wedding guests.
I got a quick photo this weekend of Curtis wearing his polish coat at Golden Gate Renaissance Faire.
The black wool Venetian hose are ready for the final fitting. I’ll include a bunch of photos of the details here as I’m proud of the interior detailing that will never be seen while worn.
Continue reading Wool Venetian hose