My client’s final gown once she finished the accessories and embroidered peacock underskirt. It was such a great project to be involved with and come together beautifully. The fully custom hybrid 18th century/Victorian stays, long oversleeves, and ruched and swagged overskirt were made at my workshop.
My lovely friend & client loaned back her Steampunk corsetry ensemble for a shoot this week. My son has been going on and on about Doc McStuffins (kids tv show) and wanted to direct a doctor shoot. Honestly I was a bit worried trying to include a 4 year old in my shoot but what is a working mom supposed to do when her kid is only in preschool till noon each day? Incorporate him into the fun of course. He seems really proud his mom is a corset maker and will tell everyone about it.
We did a walk through of the building during the day and I chose to shoot in the kitchen and my son said we had to so some in the dark basement. All day he was so excited and couldn’t wait till the evening shoot. He surprised me with his acting to the point where I had to keep asking “are you really afraid” and he’d giggle or do something silly to show me he wasn’t really scared. Some of the poses during the shoot were his idea and I loved helping facilitate his creativity too. A big thanks for my husband for working with me setting up lighting and for shooting.
The Brief: Steampunk Doctor treating a little boy. I directed Rene, our model for the day, to think of Rachel in Bladerunner. I think she nailed it. The content goes a little dark thematically and is a departure from my husband an my usual photography work. I’m excited to gather together the best images into a little flip book we will share with you once all images are processed. I was too exited so I’m posting up this teaser that I edited today.
Photographer: Tavan Photography
Model& MUA: Rene Rodgers
Hair: Laurie Tavan
Hat & bow tie: Kristi Taylor
Corsetry Ensemble: Daze of Laur by Laurie Tavan
I made it out to one weekend of Valhalla Renaissance Faire this year and got another chance to wear my red linen pair of bodies, corded petticoat, and blue & green linen loose gown. I got around to adding the lining to the top half of the back of the loose gown to the lovely white leather binding on my pair of bodies would not show though!
Except for a lining for the upper back portion the loose gown is completed (this will be required since I edged the pair of bodies in bright white leather and it is showing through!). I should have lifted the mannequin so the front wasn’t dragging and looking funny – just imagine it is over a little pregnant belly :P.
I surprised my client with an additional bustle-like drape & optional bow (not pictured) for her ensemble. The jacket can be worn with or without the additional back drape. She picked a hat out of my stash and altered it while I worked on the finishing touches on the outfit tonight. I’m so excited to see her wear it at Baycon!
This jacket was added onto another project as a separate piece to coordinate with a corset and skirt. When we started we knew we had very little of the blue silk left but wanted to have the tail and edges of the jacket in the matching silk. As the silk was purchased many years ago I found out it was no longer carried. Although I found similar colors none were the same, hence the piecing of the lining.
Here are a few shots of it completed. You can’t even see the piping! In person it all sorta meshes together into one lovely soft shell. Now to start the zouave jacket to go over it.
This jacket will be done up in a silk twill with accents in blue silk (matching a corset & skirt combo I’ve made previously). The front will be cut away at an angle with a detachable belting so it can be worn open,looser or belted for a more fitted look. We’ve altered the sleeve setting a bit during the fitting and are starting on the final piece this week.
Closes with custom self-fabric buttons with hand sewn buttonholes.
Waiting for buttonholes:
Continue reading Black Velvet Waistcoat: front closure
The velvet waistcoat is close to done. I’m contemplating adding a touch of bias piping…
Here are some inprogress shots –
Wool half moons:
These were lightly basted together to create the bust pads that fill out the area between the shoulder and the bust.
The seam allowances were clipped and then the boning channels applied by machine:
Drawing on the pattern:
This was repeated for a white linen lining and the two were flat-lined together. The mock-up was then fit and will become the final lining for the waistcoat.
Continue reading Black Velvet Waistcoat: patterning & lining
The alterations on the gown were successful. We also added some ties for the sleeves. I forgot to ask to take pictures when we tried it on :( But I did grab a few quick ones on her Uniquely you form: